The following links will provide a primer for using documentary resources to investigate the history of a place, as well as financial assistance for historic preservation. For additional information, contact TPI.
City of Tampa
The Office of Architectural Review and Historic Preservation is responsible for the following:
- Historic Preservation Commission – The HPC recommends designations, conservation districts and historic districts.
- Architectural Review Commission – The ARC reviews alterations and additions within the Hyde Park, Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights Historic Neighborhoods as well as for individually landmarked resources.
- Barrio Latino Commission – The BLC is responsible for preserving the historic fabric of the Barrio Latino/ Ybor City Historic District and maintaining architectural integrity.
- Preservation Incentives – The City of Tampa offers several economic incentive programs for historic properties including an Ad Valorem Tax Abatement, Revolving Loan Program, and Revolving Grant Fund.
- Historic Plaque Program – Owners of buildings that are designated as being historically significant have the opportunity to purchase a bronze plaque through the City of Tampa in recognition of the building’s historic value. These plaques are being offered to promote public appreciation and civic pride in our community’s history.
- Historic Preservation Program – Recommends landmark designations in unincorporated Hillsborough County and creates guidelines for their treatment. The County also offers matching grants for work on historic properties. State of
Florida Division of Historical Resources
- The state agency responsible for promoting the historical, archaeological and folk culture resources in Florida. Includes the Bureau of Historic Preservation, Bureau of Archaeological Resources, Grants Services and many publications related to Florida history and historic preservation.
Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
- Non-profit statewide organization dedicated to promoting the preservation of the architectural, historical and archaeological heritage of Florida through advocacy, education and historic property stewardship.
Florida State Archives On-line
- A selection of historical records that illustrate significant moments in Florida history utilizing selected original records, photographs and other materials from the collections of the State Library and Archives of Florida.