The Temple Terrace Preservation Society has embarked on a project to assist the Temple Terrace Community Church, 210 Inverness Avenue, in beautiful Temple Terrace. The project entails restoring the south facade of the church’s Parish Hall to its 1922 appearance.
The Parish Hall was designed by famous Tampa architect M. Leo Elliott in 1922 and was originally the Real Estate Office for the 1920s development of Temple Terrace. The building was designed in the Moorish style; the dome has a surface texture that represents either a Temple orange or a golf ball. The building is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1922, all three facades of the Parish Hall had large windows with a Spanish tile surround. The Society’s intent is to restore the south facade first, and then restore the east and west facades in the future. The Society is currently working on the drawings for the reconstruction and is raising funds to retain a structural engineer to finish the restoration drawings (about $1000). After this, fundraising will begin to complete the restoration (about $12,000).
If you’d like to make a donation towards restoring this historic Temple Terrace building to its former grandeur, checks can be sent to the Temple Terrace Preservation Society, referenced for the Community Church project, Temple Terrace Preservation Society, P.O. Box 16771, Temple Terrace, Florida 33687. All donations are tax deductible. For additional project information contact the Temple Terrace Preservation Society at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-914-9037.
Article provided by Grant Rimbey, Temple Terrace Preservation Society