Linda Saul-Sena will be leading a tour of historic North Franklin Street Wednesday, December 14th. Meet at 9 AM at Foundation Coffee, 1607 N. Franklin Street.
The City of Tampa (“City”) and the Community Redevelopment Agency of the City of Tampa (collectively, the “City”) gives notice pursuant to Part III, Chapter 163, Florida Statutes, of the request for submission of proposals for the sale of real properties located in the East Tampa Community Redevelopment Area.
The real properties are located at 3904 East 15th Avenue, unimproved property and 3404 North 29th Street, a single family residence (individually the “Property”). Photographs of the Property are available for viewing on the Real Estate Division website under the heading “Request For Proposals”. Each Property is being sold on an “As Is” basis. There will be one Open House Event at 3404 N. 29th Street on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. so that all interested parties may tour the residence.
All Proposals are due for submission on the City of Tampa Project Proposal Form, along with the earnest money deposit and a completed and signed Land Sales Agreement within 30 days of the date of publication of the advertisement or by Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 4:00p.m., whichever is later, to the City of Tampa Purchasing Department, 306 E. Jackson Street-2E, Tampa, Florida 33602. Mark the outside of the sealed envelope “RFP Disposition of Real Property – East Tampa Community Redevelopment Area”.
All inquiries should be directed to Wanda Thompson of the City’s Real Estate Division by calling (813) 274-8915 or by sending an e-mail to Wanda.Thompson@tampagov.net .
On Thursday, January 23rd, the Tampa City Administration will be providing a cost estimate to City Council for modernizing Cuscaden Pool while retaining its historic features. The current proposed plan is to retain the historic fabric of the exterior, and to build a brand new pool on the interior.
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED!
The V.M. Ybor Neighborhood Association is asking you to contact your City Council members to advocate for funds to be allocated for the necessary repairs and upgrades to Cuscaden Pool. You can assist by:
1. Attending Council on Thursday, January 23rd to speak during the Public Comments section at 9:00am (315 E. Kennedy Blvd, 3rd Fl.)
2. Emailing all Council Members
3. Calling Councilman Frank Reddick, VM Ybor area councilman: (813) 274-8189 or any At-Large Council Member
Background: The historic Cuscaden Pool was once the well-used jewel of the V.M. Ybor community when it was built in 1937 as part of the WPA Program. It was closed in the 1997 due to disrepair and then rehabilitated and restored in the mid-2000s thanks in large part to a federal grant and CIT funding ($2,600,000+). The official re-opening came in 2005 – much to the delight of residents.
Unfortunately, residents and stakeholders in the Central Tampa / V.M. Ybor neighborhood have not had access to this local, community pool since early 2010. The historic pool and community facilities, weight room, classrooms, and exercise rooms were open for just 5 seasons before being closed due to water infiltration and pool filtration problems. In addition to the pool, this facility housed an after school program that was extremely beneficial to the families in our community.
Residents of the Town of Belleair are seeking help against the request to demolish the grand wood-framed 4-1/2 story hotel built for Henry Plant in 1896. Current owners want to demolish the hotel and guest cottages and build condominiums on the site. You can support area residents in their efforts to preserve this unique part of Florida’s history by attending the Tuesday January 17, 2011 Belleair Town Meeting at 7:30 p.m. at the Belleair Town Hall, 901 Ponce de Leon Boulevard. If you are unable to attend the meeting, make your opinion known by sending emails to local officials (see contact info here). In addition, preservationists ask the following:
Unfortunately KAWA (the current owner) has absolutely no interest in restoring the hotel themselves and is currently trying to sell it since they bought it. Currently KAWA has plans to build 180 townhomes after demolishing the Biltmore. There is a long legal process including rescinding the 2005 preservation ordinance that would have to take place for this to happen, BUT the important fact is that Belleair officials need to know citizens STILL want the Biltmore saved.
If you know of any investors, developers, hoteliers or real estate companies to contact to purchase the hotel OR if you know of investors who might be willing to help other investors in the renovation process, let me know as soon as possible! We have spent a lot of time writing to possible investors, but we need YOUR help also again at this time to help save the Biltmore since the current owners unfortunately have NO interest in renovating this magnificent hotel!
Please, please contact any realtor in your area or email them from the web and let them know the Biltmore is in urgent need of a buyer. Mention our web site www.savethebiltmore.com so they can contact us.
Our goal would be to help put together a team of investors to save the hotel in case one buyer does not have sufficient investors for its renovation in these challenging economic times.
The hotel offers an opportunity for the area to have a unique destination that would be an economic boon to the town if the right investor steps forward. Additional way you can help are also found on the www.SavetheBiltmore.com website as well as some background history.
News story from the Tampa Bay Times: http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article1209820.ece with some more information.
Know of a historic resource that we are in danger of losing through development pressure, demolition by neglect, or other means? Nominate it to the 2012 Florida Most Endangered list to help raise public awareness and hopefully save the resource. All applications are accepted online only. The deadline for the Program Nominations is February 29, 2012. Tampa’s unprotected cigar factories have made past lists.
Request for Proposals
Ybor City Local Historic District
Historic “Blond Brick” House, 1720 E. 15th Avenue, Tampa, FL 33605
The City of Tampa (“City”) gives notice of the request for proposals for the purchase of one (1) historic house being sold on an “As Is” basis within the Ybor City Local Historic District and Buyers Agents are welcome.
The house is located at 1720 East 15th Avenue. The Proposer is required to pay for the house, submit an earnest money deposit equaling 5% of the proposed purchase price along with a completed Land Sales Agreement and Project Proposal Form. The earnest money deposit will only be processed if the City approves the proposal for the purchase of the historic house. Proposer must be able to close within 45 days of closing of the proposal period. Upon acceptance of the Proposal by the City and approval by Tampa City Council, the Proposer shall be required to pay the balance of the purchase price as outlined in the Land Sales Agreement.
All Proposers must submit the City of Tampa Project Proposal Form, earnest money deposit and a signed Land Sales Agreement no later than Friday, September 30, 2011, 4:00 p.m. to the City of Tampa Purchasing Department, 306 E. Jackson Street-2E, Tampa, Florida 33602. Mark the outside of the sealed envelope “RFP Disposition of Historic Blond Brick House – Ybor City Local Historic District”.
To obtain a City of Tampa Project Proposal Form, proposed Land Sales Agreement and other information applicable to the Project, you may access the City website at http://www.tampagov.net/realestate . If a Proposer would like a Proposal package to be sent via U.S. mail, the Proposer should send an e-mail to Wanda.Thompson@tampagov.net or
contact the Real Estate Division by calling (813) 274-8915.
Previews of the house will only be conducted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. so that all interested parties may tour the house. Be sure to check the City’s Real Estate Division website for any updates.
History (from the HABS documentation provided by Janus Research):
Dr. Santiago Paniello, born in 1887 in Zamora, Spain, came to Tampa through New York City in 1907 at the age of 20. He studied medicine at Emory University in Atlanta where he received his M.D. He then studied at the Hospital of Barcelona in Spain for a few months researching cancer treatment methods. Upon returning to the United States he settled in Tampa, where he was a beloved figure in the Latin community. When the U.S. entered World War I, Dr. Paniello was recruited to serve as a common soldier in the Army. When the military discovered he was a surgeon, they promoted him to First Lieutenant and assigned him to the Medical Corps. Upon arriving in France he served in the Verdun sector where his skills proved invaluable until the end of the war. He returned to Tampa in 1919 upon being discharged from the service.
As a Tampa and Ybor City resident, Dr. Paniello was an active member in the Centro Espanol Latin Club. The Centro Espanol was a society based upon the “centros” in Spain, which were founded for social and mutual aid reasons. The Centro Espanol played an important role in providing medical services for its members, which were exclusive to men only. When a member was ill doctors services, including medicines and surgery, were provided. Additionally, members were given monetary compensation for missed work while ill. Dr. Paniello was chosen to be the Medical Director of the Centro Espanol Hospital in 1920, where he remained as director until 1943. He also introduced emergency services and major surgery at no additional cost to members, opened Bacteriology and Radiology departments within the hospital, and implemented a nursing staff. Dr. Paniello also was credited with opening the La Cruz Pharmacy at 1420 East Seventh Avenue, which he operated with the help of his brother.
Dr. Paniello was instrumental in the development of the La Benefica Espanol, a mutual aid society whose purpose was to provide medical services to the wives, children, and family of members of the Centro Espanol Latin Club. As medical services provided by the Centro Espanol hospital were exclusive to male members, the La Benefica Espanol was organized to provide medical assistance to women and children. Founded by Dr. Paniello in 1922, the La Benefica Espanol was a separate organization from the Centro Espanol hospital with its own treasury and Board of Directors (Bagley, 1948). The La Benefica Espanol building, located at the corner of Ninth Avenue and Fourteenth Street, housed a clinic, pharmacy, and laboratory. In 1929 the La Benefica Espanol, whose membership had reached 4,000, was consolidated with the Centro Espanol. Members of the La Benefica Espanol now could enjoy the benefits of the Centro Espanol in addition to continued medical assistance. Shortly after World War II, the Centro Espanol extended its membership to men, women, and children; consequently, the La Benefica Espanol ceased to exist. Dr. Paniello soon afterward opened a private office at 709 Franklin Street. He continued with his private practice at the Tampa Theatre Building until he died in 1950.
Before the present house at 1518 East Fourteenth Avenue was built, Dr. Paniello resided in a smaller house on the same piece of property, which had formerly been owned by Mr. Vicente Ybor. This house could be assembled and disassembled when Mr. Ybor would visit from Cuba. Known as the “Steel House”, this wood frame house was held together with steel screws. The house was purchased by Dr. Paniello from Mr. Ybor, assembled on the property, and given the address 1512 East Fourteenth Avenue. Dr. Paniello’s first two sons were born in this house. Dr. Paniello built two rental houses adjacent to this house on the same piece of land. When the “Steel House” began to deteriorate due to termite damage, Dr. Paniello sold the two rental houses and had them removed from the property to make room for the present house.
Constructed in 1932, Dr. Paniello’s house was one of the last modern buildings built within Ybor City before the 1950s. Mr. DeMinici, an architect, designed the house. Dr. Paniello imported yellow brick from Spain to construct his residence. This house had many interior amenities that were considered revolutionary and a luxury. This house has an early central air-conditioning system, which was one of the first of its kind constructed specifically for a private residence in Tampa. There is a duct system that runs under the house, which cools individual rooms throughout the building. It was installed during the construction of the house, but over time the material in the duct system began to deteriorate. The system failed to work properly after a period of seven years. A fan has been installed in the attic to circulate hot air out of the house. Dr. Paniello lived at this residence for eleven years with his wife and three sons, when in 1943 the house was sold. Dr. Paniello’s new address was listed at 212 East Ross Avenue in the Tampa City Directory. Dr. Paniello would later have a house, also designed by DeMinici, built at 2807 Parkland Boulevard. He lived at this address until his death in 1950.
The house was relocated and rehabilitated in 2003 as part of the Tampa Interstate Study project.