Hyde Park Village Fresh Market

Hyde Park Village, in partnership with Tampa Bay Markets, Inc. announces the launch of the newHyde Park Village Fresh Market opening Sunday, March 6, 2011. The new Fresh Market will take place at the Fountain the first Sunday of every month, year round, rain or shine, from 11 AM to 3 PM.

This new Fresh Market has been modeled after the Tampa Downtown Market held on Fridays and the Seminole Heights Sunday Morning Market held every second Sunday of each month. With space for over 70 vendors, shoppers will enjoy a variety of locally produced products such as: Agricultural Related Products, Ready to Eat Foods,  and Hand Crafts. Each month the Fresh Market will also feature Live Music, Cooking Demos and Outdoor Seating and a local Massage Therapist.

Future Hyde Park Village Fresh Market dates are Sunday, April 3, May 1, June 5, July 3 (subject to change due to holiday weekend), August 7, September 4 (subject to change due to holiday weekend), October 2, November 6 and December 4, 2011.

Admission and parking is free to the public and friendly dogs on leashes are always welcome at the Fresh Market and in Hyde Park Village. For more information, visit www.hydeparkvillage.net or call 813.251.3500.

ARC, BLC & HPC Board Members Needed

The City of Tampa is seeking applicants who would like to be appointed by City of Council to the Architectural Review Commission (ARC), Barrio Latino Commission (BLC), and the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC). Deadline for submission of applications is 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 9, 2011, in the Office of the City Clerk, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa, Florida.

Positions open are:

ARC

One Position – Term expires on February 3, 2011: Alternate Member

One Position – Due to Resignation – Term expires on August 23, 2012: Member

BLC

One Position – Due to Resignation – Term expires on February 4, 2012: Alternate

One Position – Term expires on January 31, 2011:  Architect

One Position – Term expires on February 19, 2011:  Attorney

HPC

One (1) Position – Due to resignation – Term expires on May 31, 2011:  Must be either urban planner, landscape architect or historian

The City Council of the City of Tampa has scheduled three-minute presentations by the applicants interested in being considered for one of these positions. The three-minute presentations are scheduled to be held on February 17 at 10:00 a.m. under Staff Reports and Unfinished Business during the regular session of City Council. The regular sessions of City Council are held in the Tampa City Council Chambers, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa, Florida.

More information is available on the City of Tampa’s website: http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_Boards_and_commissions

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at (813) 274-8397.

One (1) Position – Term Expires on February 6, 2011:  Alternate

History Hunt #5

This 1924 street scene shows an intersection in the northern end of downtown Tampa that had already changed dramatically by 1931. There are several significant downtown historic landmarks remaining in the vicinity, two of which have been part of an ongoing preservation struggle. A historic 3-story brick building with an interesting history replaced the 2-1/2 story rooming house but the building on the left is now gone. A free t-shirt will be given to the first person who correctly guesses where this photo was taken.

Tampa historic photo

Asa a side note: notice the small railroad crossing tower on posts on the right side of the photo. They were once common throughout the Tampa, located at major intersections. For some more information and images, see this post. We are not aware of any remaining towers in Tampa, so if you know of one, please let us know.

History Hunt #4

This building was once prominently located in downtown Tampa, as was the house you can see to the left. The large Italianate building has been replaced and the house has been relocated. The site now showcases a prominent Tampa landmark. Do you know where they once stood? The first correct guess wins a T-shirt from Tampa Preservation, Inc.

See the comments below for the answer.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Here is a map of the site as it looked in 1903 with the old City Hall building shown in the photo:

Tampaoldcityhall
Map of Tampa City Hall in 1903
Map of Tampa City Hall 1915

Tampa’s Streetcar System

Tampa StreetcarTampa’s first streetcar system began in 1885, when the Tampa Street Railway Company ran a wood-burning engine with several small cars over a track from downtown Tampa to the neighboring town of Ybor City. The creation of this early transit line helped further Tampa’s rapid growth and development that took place at the end of the nineteenth century.

Tampa’s streetcar line soon became electrified, thanks to Frank Sprague of Richmond, Virginia, who developed a four-wheeled “troller” that ran along an overhead wire and transmitted electricity to streetcars. This new power source opened the door for private electric companies to enter into the transportation business. In 1892, the Tampa Street Railway Company merged with the Florida Electric Company to form the Tampa Street Railway and Power Company.

Tampa’s original trolley company quickly encountered competition. In April 1892, the Tampa Suburban Company was formed by a group of local entrepreneurs, including Peter O. Knight, who realized the growing commercial potential of the city as a result of the opening of the luxurious Tampa Bay Hotel across the Hillsborough River in West Tampa. In an effort to forestall competition, the Tampa Street Railway and Power Company secured an injunction to prevent operation of the Suburban lines. With an appeal pending, backers of the Suburban Company organized a new corporation, selling stock to local citizens. The Consumers Electric Light and Street Railway Company soon became the dominant trolley system in Tampa by winning a rate war against its rival, which it bought out on June 18, 1894. After some financial disputes and trouble with stockholders, Consumers went into receivership, and in 1899, it became what is today Tampa Electric Company.

In its early years, the company operated just over 21 miles of tracks with main lines extending to Ybor City, West Tampa and Ballast Point. At its peak, 190 streetcars covered Tampa’s 53 miles of streetcar lines along 11 routes. The streetcars ran from 4:30 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. every day.

The streetcar served a purpose beyond workday transportation. A 1940s map and schedule of the Tampa Street Car System requests that shoppers avoid the rush hour periods. Resorts and parks operated by street railway companies, known as “electric parks,” were established in cities throughout the United States. In Tampa, the recreational venues DeSoto Park, Ballast Point Park and Pier, MacFarlane Park, and the Sulphur Springs Pool were developed at the extremities of the streetcar lines. In addition to public parks, Tampa Electric Company also built the original Fortune Street and Garcia Avenue bridges and contributed funding to the construction of the current Fortune Street (now Laurel Street) and Lafayette Street (now Kennedy Boulevard) bridges.

Tampa’s streetcar reached its peak of popularity in the 1920s. The system carried almost 24 million passengers in 1926. Tampa’s streetcar ridership remained high during World War II, when gas and rubber rationing limited automobile and bus travel. But the end of World War II also brought the end of streetcar service in Tampa. Residents had long complained that streetcars were noisy and hampered the flow of auto and bus traffic. Bus systems were also promoted as cheaper and more practical for public transportation. Tampa Electric Company had been operating its streetcar system at a loss for many years, since it never raised its fare above the original five-cents (two-and-a-half cents for school children). In August 1946, the last Tampa Electric Company streetcar made its final run. Bus service took over former streetcar routes.Tampa Trolley

In October 2002, Tampa Electric Company began running six historical replica streetcars along a new 2.4-mile line, connecting Ybor City, the Channel District, and the Tampa Convention Center. A 1/3-mile extension is under construction, running along Franklin Street to the parking garages at Whiting Street.

Images courtesy the Florida State Archives.

Thinking of Replacing Your Wood Windows?

If you live in a historic home, preservationists urge you to think about restoration and repair before razing. Here are some issues to consider:

• More heat is lost through the roof and insulated walls than windows.

• Windows need routine maintenance, including resealing and caulking, to be energy efficient.

• Storm windows installed on the exterior of existing windows or window inserts attached to the interior side can reduce heat loss.

• A thin reflective covering called “low-E film” can be applied to single-pane glass to reduce heat loss.

• If you’re trying to be “green,” remember that vinyl and aluminum windows take more resources, toxins and energy to produce than restoring old windows.

• Retaining the original windows in a historic home can be an advantage when selling the home to buyers who value authenticity.

• If you refinish windows yourself, beware of the possibility of lead in the paint and asbestos in the glazing putty. Kits are available in home-improvement stores to test for lead. If you don’t test, assume there are toxins and wear protective masks, a respirator, gloves and other gear.

• Double- or single-hung windows are sometimes replaced because they no longer open. The problem often stems from layers of paint on the pulley system ropes. Instead of discarding the entire window, replace the ropes. When painting, cover the ropes with masking tape or paper.

• Different kinds of glass are used to replace historic or antique window panes. Glass with waves, bubbles and other imperfections reminiscent of antique glass is available, but can be costly, particularly if it’s mouth-blown. Sometimes, homeowners opt for contemporary, double-paned glass.

For more information on restoring, replicating or replacing historic windows:

• Go to www. oldhouseweb.com and search for “historic window repair.”

• Go to www. preservationnation.org and search for “historic wood window tip sheet.”

• See a video of historic window restoration by EcoWoodworks at http:// ecowoodworks.com. The custom carpentry firm is at 3016 Sapp Road, Tumwater, or at 360-943-3808.

Sources: City of Olympia Historic Preservation program, Grace Morrisson of Bear Wood Windows Inc.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/12/29/1481478/window-treatment-not-so-hasty.html#ixzz19Y3pzzGC