Please excuse this page – we are still adding data. We welcome any info on history, additional sites and neighborhoods.
Ballast Point – Located on the west side of Hillsborough Bay, just north of MacDill Air Force Base. The area features Ballast Point Park , developed in 1894 as an elegant trolley stop terminus.
Beach Park – Beach Park was developed in the early 1920’s on land once a mixture of thick Florida tropical brush, Palm & Oak forests on the Old Tampa Bay waterfront.
Davis Islands – See the developmental history here: http://dicivic.org/davis-islands-history/the-history-of-davis-islands/
Hyde Park – Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as designated as a City of Tampa Historic District.
Hyde Park North
Seminole Heights – Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as having local historic designation.
Tampa Heights – Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as having local historic designation. Read some interesting background history at: http://www.tampaheights.org/History/hist1.pdf
VM Ybor – National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places District and locally designated as the Barrio Latino Historic District.
West Tampa – Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ybor City – National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places District and locally designated as the Barrio Latino Historic District.
Outside Tampa City Limits
Bealsville – Founded by freed slaves who acquired the land through the Southern Homestead Act of 1866. Bealsville is named for Alfred Beal, a member of one of the founding families and prominent land owner. The Glover School at the heart of Bealsville is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is on the Florida Black Heritage Trail. The Glover School and the Beal-Holloman House are Hillsborough County designated landmarks.
Progress Village – Platted in 1958, Progress Village was constructed to provide homes for families dislocated from the Scrub neighborhood in Tampa during urban renewal and interstate construction. Less than a quarter of the planned 3,857 residences were constructed, but in 1960 the non-profit Progress Village, Inc., with its interracial board of trustees, was awarded the national Lane Bryant Service Award for outstanding contribution to community life.