Many thanks to James Singleton for letting TPI and others at the Preservation Roundtable meeting know that what may be the oldest house in Tampa is up for sale. Located at 3210 E. 8th Avenue, the house was built in 1842, at the tail end of the Second Seminole War. It was originally built by a Dr. Stringer, and in 1914, bought by Imbodin Stalnaker who had it disassembled and transported to the town of Gary, where it remains today. The Gary Post Office was established in 1898 and the official plat was filed in 1903. The City of Gary was incorporated between 1915 to 1919 and was annexed by the City of Tampa in 1923.
The house has been altered over the years but the overall form is intact. The asking price has been reduced to $22,000. Ideally it would be purchased by someone who appreciates the history of the house and would restore it.
For some interesting research on this house, please see this post on the Tampanian blog.