Ybor City Historic District Expansion

Ybor City StreetscapeTampa City Council will hear the first reading of the proposed Ybor City Historic District Expansion on Thursday, 2/14 at 5:01pm at City Council Chambers (315 E. Kennedy Blvd, 3rd Floor).  The V.M. Ybor Neighborhood Association has supported and advocated for the expansion of the local historic district. Additional information about the benefits of historic districts and common misconceptions can be found here.

If you can not attend the meeting, please consider sending an email in support of the expansion to your City Council member.  Several informational meetings have been hosted by the neighborhood association since 2010. A publicly noticed informational meeting was held by City Staff in June 2012. The City’s Historic Preservation Commission voted in favor of a District Expansion at a Public Hearing in September 2012.  The Planning Commission  then recommended a Historic District Expansion in November 2012.

Courthouse Groundbreaking Ceremony

Please join Mayor Bob Buckhorn

&

Community Leaders

for the groundbreaking ceremony

of the

Classic Federal Courthouse

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2p.m.

601 North Florida Avenue Tampa, Florida

FedCourthouseTampa

Ybor City House for Sale by City of Tampa

2709 N. 19th St has been relocated, set on a new brick pier foundation, and rehabilitation started

The City of Tampa (“City”) is offering to sell one historic building located at 2709 North 19th Street (the “Property”) within the East Tampa Community Redevelopment Area and Ybor City Local Historic District. The building is being sold “AS IS” and one Open House Event will be held on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

The Proposer is required make a firm offer for the Property, submit an earnest money deposit equaling 5% of the offered purchase price, provide a completed and signed Land Sales Agreement and Project Proposal Form on the forms provided by the City by Friday, January 25, 2013, 4:00p.m. to the City of Tampa Purchasing Department, 306 E. Jackson Street-2E, Tampa, Florida 33602. The earnest money deposit will only be processed if the City approves the proposal for the purchase of the Property. Mark the outside of the sealed envelope “RFP Disposition of Historic Building – East Tampa Community Redevelopment Area or Ybor City Local Historic District ”.

If you have any questions, you may contact Wanda Thompson, City of Tampa Real Estate Contract Specialist by calling (813) 274-8915. More information can be found at: http://www.tampagov.net/dept_real_estate/information_resources/Request_for_Proposals.asp

 

Ybor City Brick House for Sale

Request for Proposals
Ybor City Local Historic District
Historic “Blond Brick” House, 1720 E. 15th Avenue, Tampa, FL 33605
The City of Tampa (“City”) gives notice of the request for proposals for the purchase of one (1) historic house being sold on an “As Is” basis within the Ybor City Local Historic District and Buyers Agents are welcome.

The house is located at 1720 East 15th Avenue. The Proposer is required to pay for the house, submit an earnest money deposit equaling 5% of the proposed purchase price along with a completed Land Sales Agreement and Project Proposal Form. The earnest money deposit will only be processed if the City approves the proposal for the purchase of the historic house. Proposer must be able to close within 45 days of closing of the proposal period. Upon acceptance of the Proposal by the City and approval by Tampa City Council, the Proposer shall be required to pay the balance of the purchase price as outlined in the Land Sales Agreement.

All Proposers must submit the City of Tampa Project Proposal Form, earnest money deposit and a signed Land Sales Agreement no later than Friday, September 30, 2011, 4:00 p.m. to the City of Tampa Purchasing Department, 306 E. Jackson Street-2E, Tampa, Florida 33602. Mark the outside of the sealed envelope “RFP Disposition of Historic Blond Brick House – Ybor City Local Historic District”.

To obtain a City of Tampa Project Proposal Form, proposed Land Sales Agreement and other information applicable to the Project, you may access the City website at http://www.tampagov.net/realestate . If a Proposer would like a Proposal package to be sent via U.S. mail, the Proposer should send an e-mail to Wanda.Thompson@tampagov.net or
contact the Real Estate Division by calling (813) 274-8915.

Previews of the house will only be conducted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. so that all interested parties may tour the house. Be sure to check the City’s Real Estate Division website for any updates.


History (from the HABS documentation provided by Janus Research):

Dr. Santiago Paniello, born in 1887 in Zamora, Spain, came to Tampa through New York City in 1907 at the age of 20. He studied medicine at Emory University in Atlanta where he received his M.D. He then studied at the Hospital of Barcelona in Spain for a few months researching cancer treatment methods. Upon returning to the United States he settled in Tampa, where he was a beloved figure in the Latin community. When the U.S. entered World War I, Dr. Paniello was recruited to serve as a common soldier in the Army. When the military discovered he was a surgeon, they promoted him to First Lieutenant and assigned him to the Medical Corps. Upon arriving in France he served in the Verdun sector where his skills proved invaluable until the end of the war. He returned to Tampa in 1919 upon being discharged from the service.

As a Tampa and Ybor City resident, Dr. Paniello was an active member in the Centro Espanol Latin Club. The Centro Espanol was a society based upon the “centros” in Spain, which were founded for social and mutual aid reasons. The Centro Espanol played an important role in providing medical services for its members, which were exclusive to men only. When a member was ill doctors services, including medicines and surgery, were provided. Additionally, members were given monetary compensation for missed work while ill. Dr. Paniello was chosen to be the Medical Director of the Centro Espanol Hospital in 1920, where he remained as director until 1943. He also introduced emergency services and major surgery at no additional cost to members, opened Bacteriology and Radiology departments within the hospital, and implemented a nursing staff. Dr. Paniello also was credited with opening the La Cruz Pharmacy at 1420 East Seventh Avenue, which he operated with the help of his brother.

Dr. Paniello was instrumental in the development of the La Benefica Espanol, a mutual aid society whose purpose was to provide medical services to the wives, children, and family of members of the Centro Espanol Latin Club. As medical services provided by the Centro Espanol hospital were exclusive to male members, the La Benefica Espanol was organized to provide medical assistance to women and children. Founded by Dr. Paniello in 1922, the La Benefica Espanol was a separate organization from the Centro Espanol hospital with its own treasury and Board of Directors (Bagley, 1948). The La Benefica Espanol building, located at the corner of Ninth Avenue and Fourteenth Street, housed a clinic, pharmacy, and laboratory. In 1929 the La Benefica Espanol, whose membership had reached 4,000, was consolidated with the Centro Espanol. Members of the La Benefica Espanol now could enjoy the benefits of the Centro Espanol in addition to continued medical assistance. Shortly after World War II, the Centro Espanol extended its membership to men, women, and children; consequently, the La Benefica Espanol ceased to exist. Dr. Paniello soon afterward opened a private office at 709 Franklin Street. He continued with his private practice at the Tampa Theatre Building until he died in 1950.

Before the present house at 1518 East Fourteenth Avenue was built, Dr. Paniello resided in a smaller house on the same piece of property, which had formerly been owned by Mr. Vicente Ybor. This house could be assembled and disassembled when Mr. Ybor would visit from Cuba. Known as the “Steel House”, this wood frame house was held together with steel screws. The house was purchased by Dr. Paniello from Mr. Ybor, assembled on the property, and given the address 1512 East Fourteenth Avenue. Dr. Paniello’s first two sons were born in this house. Dr. Paniello built two rental houses adjacent to this house on the same piece of land. When the “Steel House” began to deteriorate due to termite damage, Dr. Paniello sold the two rental houses and had them removed from the property to make room for the present house.

Constructed in 1932, Dr. Paniello’s house was one of the last modern buildings built within Ybor City before the 1950s. Mr. DeMinici, an architect, designed the house. Dr. Paniello imported yellow brick from Spain to construct his residence. This house had many interior amenities that were considered revolutionary and a luxury. This house has an early central air-conditioning system, which was one of the first of its kind constructed specifically for a private residence in Tampa. There is a duct system that runs under the house, which cools individual rooms throughout the building. It was installed during the construction of the house, but over time the material in the duct system began to deteriorate. The system failed to work properly after a period of seven years. A fan has been installed in the attic to circulate hot air out of the house. Dr. Paniello lived at this residence for eleven years with his wife and three sons, when in 1943 the house was sold. Dr. Paniello’s new address was listed at 212 East Ross Avenue in the Tampa City Directory. Dr. Paniello would later have a house, also designed by DeMinici, built at 2807 Parkland Boulevard. He lived at this address until his death in 1950.

The house was relocated and rehabilitated in 2003 as part of the Tampa Interstate Study project.

Historic Preservation Position in Tampa

The City of Tampa is accepting applications for the position of Historic Preservation Specialist. JOB PURPOSE: The Historic Preservation Specialist is responsible for highly professional work involving the planning and implementation of research and development of specific design programs as they relate to historic preservation.

For more info go to http://www.tampagov.net/appl_personnel_job_openings/job_detail.asp?posting_id=2696 Applications are being accepted until August 5.

Tampa City Council Seek Applications For Historic Preservation Citizen Boards

The members of the City Council of the City of Tampa are seeking citizens to serve on several City of Tampa Boards, Commissions, and Advisory Councils/Commissions.

Citizens interested in seeking appointment must be residents and registered voters in the City of Tampa. However, there are several Boards, Commissions, and Advisory Councils/Commission that do not require citizens to be residents and registered voters of the City of Tampa. These positions are voluntary. Individuals being appointed to serve on these Boards, Commissions, and Advisory Councils/Commissions serve without compensation. Individuals being appointed may be required to file financial disclosure.

The deadline for submission of applications is 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday-June 1, 2011 in the Office of the City Clerk, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, Florida

The City Council of the City of Tampa has scheduled three-minute presentations of the applicants on June 23, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. under Staff Reports and Unfinished Business during the regular sessions of Council. The meetings are held in the Tampa City Council Chambers, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Boulevard, Third Floor, Tampa, Florida.

Applications are available in the Office of the City Clerk, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa, Florida and are also available on the City of Tampa’s website at: http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_Boards_and_commissions The application can be filled out on-line and can be submitted electronically. Directions for submission are listed on the application.

The Historic Preservation Boards, Commissions, and Advisory Councils/Commissions that have current openings between now and October 1, 2011 are:

Architectural Review Commission
Purpose:  The Commission has the authority to hear and grant variances in historic districts or landmark sites
designated by the Commission (except those areas under the jurisdiction of the Barrio Latino Commission) from
the terms and regulations of the zoning chapter relative to yard (setback), fence and buffer regulations, height
structures in certain residential districts, signs, etc. The ordinance that created this Commission was designed to
protect historically significant buildings and landmarks within the City limits.
Term of Office: Three Years
Special Requirements:

  • Members and alternate members shall have a demonstrated interest, competence, professional experience or knowledge in architecture, historic preservation, history, architectural history, planning, archaeology, development, real estate appraisals, real estate marketing, law or other related disciplines.
  • Oath of Office required.
  • Financial disclosure required.
  • All appointees shall be residents of the City of Tampa.
  • Members shall not serve more than two consecutive full terms.

Terms Expiring:

  • One Position – Due to Resignation:
  • Alternate – Term expires on February 3, 2014

Meeting Schedule:

  • First Monday and Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m.
  • Location: Tampa City Council Chambers, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa

Historic Preservation Commission
Purpose: To recommend designations, conservation districts and historic districts. The Historic Preservation
Commission is eager to access Tampa’s historic resources and has incorporated into its work plan the goal to
systematically survey and hopefully, protect previously un-surveyed areas of the city.
Term of Office: Three Years
Special Requirements:

  • Oath of Office required.
  • Financial disclosure required.
  • Must be residents of the City of Tampa

Terms Expiring:

  • One Position: Architect – Term expires on May 31, 2011

Meeting Schedule:

  • Second Tuesday of each month at 9:00 a.m.
  • Tampa City Council Chambers, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., 3rd Floor

Board Coordinator: For further information contact: Dennis Fernandez at (813) 274-8920

For more information, contact the Office of the City Clerk at (813) 274-8397.

ARC, BLC & HPC Board Members Needed

The City of Tampa is seeking applicants who would like to be appointed by City of Council to the Architectural Review Commission (ARC), Barrio Latino Commission (BLC), and the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC). Deadline for submission of applications is 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 9, 2011, in the Office of the City Clerk, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa, Florida.

Positions open are:

ARC

One Position – Term expires on February 3, 2011: Alternate Member

One Position – Due to Resignation – Term expires on August 23, 2012: Member

BLC

One Position – Due to Resignation – Term expires on February 4, 2012: Alternate

One Position – Term expires on January 31, 2011:  Architect

One Position – Term expires on February 19, 2011:  Attorney

HPC

One (1) Position – Due to resignation – Term expires on May 31, 2011:  Must be either urban planner, landscape architect or historian

The City Council of the City of Tampa has scheduled three-minute presentations by the applicants interested in being considered for one of these positions. The three-minute presentations are scheduled to be held on February 17 at 10:00 a.m. under Staff Reports and Unfinished Business during the regular session of City Council. The regular sessions of City Council are held in the Tampa City Council Chambers, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa, Florida.

More information is available on the City of Tampa’s website: http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_Boards_and_commissions

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at (813) 274-8397.

One (1) Position – Term Expires on February 6, 2011:  Alternate

City Preservation Openings

The City of Tampa is seeking applicants who would like to be appointed by City of Council to the Barrio Latino Commission, the Enterprise Zone Development Agency, and the Historic Preservation Commission. Deadline for submission of applications is 5:00 p.m. on Friday-December 3, 2010, in the Office of the City Clerk, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa, Florida.

The City Council of the City of Tampa has scheduled three-minute presentations by the applicants interested in being considered for one of these positions. The three-minute presentations are scheduled to be held on December 16, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. under Staff Reports and Unfinished Business during the regular session of City Council. The regular sessions of City Council are held in the Tampa City Council Chambers, Old City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., Third Floor, Tampa, Florida.

More information is available on the City of Tampa’s website: http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_Boards_and_commissions

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at (813) 274-8397.

Tampa Area Bridges

Images courtesy FL State Archives
In 2006, the City of Tampa designated six bridges as part of the Historic Bridges on the Hillsborough River Multiple Properties Group: the Lafayette Street (Kennedy Boulevard) Bridge, the Platt Street Bridge, the Cass Street Bridge, the Michigan Avenue (Columbus Drive) Bridge, the Fortune Street (Laurel Street) Bridge, and the T. N. Henderson (Hillsborough Avenue) Bridge.

The earliest of these bridges were constructed in the late nineteenth century, with the Lafayette Street (Kennedy Boulevard) Bridge connecting Tampa’s suburbs and the Fortune Street (Laurel Street) Bridge connecting the City of West Tampa to downtown Tampa. The Lafayette Street (Kennedy Boulevard) Bridge is the oldest rolling leaf bascule span bridge in the state of Florida. The Fortune Street (Laurel Street) Bridge was designed as a trunnion bascule bridge with counterweights uniquely positioned over the single leaf bridge deck.

As Tampa’s population swelled during the Land Boom of the 1920s, the double leaf trunnion bascule Platt Street and Cass Street Bridges and the bob-tailed swing Michigan Avenue (Columbus Drive) Bridge were constructed. The all-steel vertical lift T. N. Henderson (Hillsborough Avenue) Bridge was constructed in 1939.

The City recently finished repainting and performing structural maintenance on the Cass Street Bridge. The $1.7 million structural maintenance work included the replacement of sections of corroded and degraded steel girders and the refurbishment of the bridge mechanics.

The Platt Street and Michigan Avenue (Columbus Drive) Bridge are slated to undergo structural and aesthetic rehabilitation this year. These two bridges are maintained by Hillsborough County; however, as local landmarks designated by the City of Tampa, all modifications to these bridges are reviewed by the City’s Architectural Review Commission. The $8.7 million rehabilitation work on the Michigan Avenue (Columbus Drive) Bridge will include the replacement of the tender house with a historically accurate building; the addition of 14 historically accurate lighting fixtures; and the replacement of the concrete barrier with historically appropriate railings. The $10.8 million Platt Street Bridge rehabilitation will include repairs to the mechanical and electrical systems and to the corroded structural steel.

These six bridges all were evaluated as part of the survey of Historic Highway Bridges of Florida, and were considered eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as part of this survey. However, the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) has only evaluated three of these historic resources as potentially eligible for listing in the NRHP: Lafayette Street (Kennedy Boulevard) Bridge, Platt Street Bridge, and the Cass Street Bridge.

In addition to these six bridges, the Florida SHPO has stated that the 1959 Brorein Street Bridge may be eligible for listing in the NRHP as an example of a mid-century bridge funded as part of the City of Tampa’s $20 million Public Improvement Program.


Local Historic Preservation Ad Valorem Tax Exemption Programs

Owners of historic buildings in Florida considering rehabilitating their property have a variety of programs to choose from. In 1992, the Florida state constitution was amended to allow local governments the option of offering ad valorem tax exemptions on improvements to historic properties. The purpose of providing this exemption was to stimulate revitalization of historic properties and to ease the burden of maintaining these properties. This tax exemption program is available throughout Hillsborough County. Rehabilitation projects in the City of Tampa and the City of Plant City may also qualify for additional exemptions from city taxes.

Properties that qualify for the exemption from the county-wide tax are those designated as local landmarks, those listed on the National Register of Historic Places, or as contributing properties in a local or National Register historic district. In the City of Tampa and the City of Plant City, only locally designated landmarks and contributing structures within locally designated historic districts are considered eligible properties for exemption from city ad valorem taxes.

All applications for this tax exemption are reviewed by the appropriate local reviewing entity. These are the Barrio Latino Commission (BLC) for properties located within the Ybor City Historic District, the Tampa Architectural Review Commission (ARC) for all other qualifying historic properties located within the City of Tampa, the Plant City Historic Review Board (HRB) for historic properties located in the City of Plant City, and the Hillsborough County Historic Resources Review Board (HRRB) for historic properties located in unincorporated Hillsborough County.

Residential and non-residential properties may apply for this program. Improvements must be consistent with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation and meet criteria set by the Department of State (Chapter 1A- 38, Florida Administrative Code). A determination that the project is in conformance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation must be made by the local reviewing entity. It is recommended (and required for properties in the City of Plant City) that Parts I (Evaluation of Property Eligibility) and II (Description of Improvements) of the application, with required documentation, be completed and submitted for review before the project is begun. Failure to obtain project approval prior to the initiation of construction leaves the owner at risk of failing to comply with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards.

Part III (Request for Review of Completed Work) is to be submitted upon completion of the improvements. Prior to the review process, the property owner must complete a protective covenant stating that the character of the property and the qualifying improvements to the property will be maintained during the exemption period.

The local reviewing entity then makes its recommendation to the appropriate local governing body(ies), which may approve the exemption by ordinance. The local governing bodies are the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners, the Tampa City Council, and the City Commission of the City of Plant City.

The exemption is for 100% of the increase in the assessed value of the improvements to the historic structure that results from rehabilitation. The exemption takes effect on January 1 of the year following the substantial completion of the improvements and is applicable for a 10-year period. It applies only to improvements to real property. When the property is sold, the exemption passes to the new owner.